Monday, August 11, 2014

Be careful who fixes your clock

You never know what you/re going to see when you pull the dials from clocks, but I'm not even shocked at some of the messes I see anymore.  One thing you can be sure of is that if your clock is 50 years old, somebody's had their fingers in it.  Get to 100 years and many hands have been in it.
Hopefully they have been skilled hands, but very often it's been " my uncle that loves to tinker " or "my neighbor can fix anything " hands. 
It doesn't bother me too much on the common American 8 day clocks, but to see it in a 19th century highly crafted piece, it just breaks your heart.
Here's a beautiful repeater carriage clock that possibly a plumber tried to fix.  Can you tell where ?


 

 The picture below shows the new drop piece that had to be made and fit to the arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment